Poorly fitted and serviced gas appliances can cause:
Carbon monoxide poisoning
In a gas emergency you need to act quickly and take the following steps:
Get fresh air immediately - open all doors and windows to ventilate the area
Switch off the appliance and gas pipework by turning off the gas supply at the emergency control valve at the gas meter.
Do not turn the gas supply on again until it has been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Do not operate electrical switches, operating electrical equipment can ignite escaping gas.
Extinguish all naked flames.
Call the National Gas Emergency number – 0800 111 999 (If you're deaf or hard of hearing, you can use a textphone (Minicom) on 0800 371 787). Please note: This number is for England, Scotland and Wales – for emergency numbers in other regions and for LPG visit our useful contact numbers page.
If you are feeling unwell visit your GP or hospital immediately and inform them that you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide.
Contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to check and fix the appliance.